How much water do we need?
It is recommended that men consume 2L or 10 glasses/day and women 1.6 L or 8 glasses/day.
However, water requirements depend on your activity levels and the surrounding temperature, so only view the above recommendations as a minimum!
The easiest way to identify if you are consuming enough water is checking the colour of your urine:
clear or light yellow = well hydrated
darker = dehydrated (the darker, the more dehydrated) DRINK WATER!
FTF tips on building your water consumption:
- Carry a bottle with you and fill it up periodically.
- Keep a glass of water on your desk at work.
- Keep a glass next to your bed. Many of us wake up dehydrated first thing in the morning.
- Switch one glass of soda or cup of coffee for a glass of water.
- Drink small amounts of water throughout the day to ensure you get enough.
NOTE: We often forget that we get hydrated from foods we consume, such as fruits, soups and stews. This accounts for 20-30%, the remaining 70-80% of our water needs comes from drinks, so choose wisely!