Q: How do I change how my name appears publically?
- When you are logged in to the blog admin area, select ‘Profile’ from the left hand menu.
- In the profile form fill in your name / nickname into the spaces provided (you may need to scroll down a little way to see that part of the form).
- Below the name area is a dropdown labelled ‘Display Name Publically As’. Set that drop down to the version of your name that you feel comfortable using.
- Click on the ‘Update Profile’ button at the bottom of the page.
Once you have done that then you should see your posts with your chosen name at the bottom rather than your id number. (If you had a blog page open you will need to refresh the page before you see the change).
Q: How do I make a post?
- Follow the link in the email that you got sent and log on with your normal Kings student number / password
- In the menu of the left hand side of the admin page, under ‘Posts’ select the ‘Add New’ option.
- The Edit Post page has a form with a number of areas that you need to fill in
- The title [Required]
- The main body of the post [Required]
- The category that the post belongs to [Required]
- Any tags that you want to associate with the post [Recommended]
- You may wish to edit the URL for the post [Optional]
- Once you have filled in the sections of the form in as indicated above then you can publish the post by clicking the ‘Publish’ button on the right hand side of the page. Drafts will save automatically as you type but you can also use the ‘Save Draft’ button (also on the right hand side) if you wish to save the draft and return to it later.
https://ithemes.com/tutorials/creating-a-wordpress-post/ has a step by step guide and a video showing how to make posts.
Q: How do I edit a existing post (either published or draft)
If you select the ‘Posts’ option in the menu on the left hand side of the page it will give you the list of all posts. Draft posts are indicated by ‘Draft’ after the title. Selecting the title of the post or selecting ‘edit’ from the menu that appears when you mouse over the title will allow you to edit the post. From there you can edit and publish the post as you would a new post.
Q: Where can I get additional help on using WordPress?
The web has a lot of resources about using WordPress a few examples are listed below:
You can also ask your group supervisor if you need further assistance.