After discussion with Rosa on Friday 17 March, and our private group meeting on Sunday 19 March, our current presentation structure is as follow.
Title: How Imperialism is Visualised in Popular Media? In the case of Apocalypse Now (1979) and Apocalypse Now Redux (2001)
Part 1. Introduction (3 minutes, Penny)
- 1.1 Introduction to imperialism, popular media of film;
- 1.2. Justification of our case studies (from novel Heart of Darkness to the films), and methodologies;
- 1.3 Presentation outline.
Part 2. Introduction to the films and the absence of Vietnamese People – Orientalism (Li)
- 2.1 Introduces the differences of the two films, similar plot structure (episodic), but the core is the same – about American people self-realisation of their participant in the war (2 minutes);
- 2.2 Under such a background, Vietnamese people are silenced, marginalised, and remain as a backdrop (3 minutes).
Part 3. The differences in the two films – in relation to their respective political contexts (5 minutes, Gabi)
- 3.1 Apocalypse Now (1979) as rethinking about the Vietnam War; Apocalypse Now Redux (2001) perhaps renegotiating the past in relation to the new political contexts – Iraq.
- 3.2 Not just the two films are self-centred, but the wider film industry (perhaps data analysis)
Part 4. Imperial Hollywood and reshaping of memories (5 minutes, Cilin)
- 4.1 Hollywood film-making are self-centred: normalises the (Euro-)American view of the rest of the world. Foreign parts are simply backdrop. When the character do learn, the learning process is the point of interest, not other cultures. Examples from this film, and other film examples.
- 4.2 The films reshape our memories: in this case, Vietnam War becomes a predominately an American War – this is anther reflection of Imperialism.
Part 5. Conclusion (2 minutes, Penny)
- Reiterate our points, limitation, and areas for further studies.
Our current task is to write our own part of speech, 600-700 words, uploading it to the same google sheet by 4 pm Tuesday 21 March (I will send a group email). Then we would have one day to read parts of other team member, picking out missing points, reshuffle things around before discussing with Rosa on 5 pm Wednesday 22.
If there is any error, any suggestions, and if you have useful material for others, welcome to provide in replies.