This blog post was written by Molly Nuttall, student at King’s Business School and founder of Robbin Hood UK

I wouldn’t be surprised if Brick Lane started selling COVID test kits and calling them vintage.

Oh, how we love vintage clothes. They are chic and can be quite affordable. But where is the best place to buy? In my opinion, in charity shops as there is nothing better than a good hunt for a bargain and cherishing the clothing items while giving back to a cause such as Age UK.

Where you should not buy is online ‘vintage’ and be cautious when in areas such as Brick Lane.

Online vintage stores have mastered the word ‘re-worked’ which basically means that they buy a plain pair of black trousers from Alibaba and stick a Carhartt label on them. This happens a lot more often than you think, so be wary.

Brick Lane, however, is a larger problem. I love some items of clothes that I have bought, but that is because I have researched the clothing labels and materials that should be called Vintage. Additionally, I do know that a lot of the clothes being sold are sourced from charity shops, bought at as little as £1 and resold for £40. My problem with this is that £39 goes to the business and only £1 goes to charity.

Clothes donated to charity shops are done because of a good cause, however, ‘vintage’ shops make deals with charity shops to find items of clothing before it even hits the shop floor, this then means that the worker and the business are profiting but not the charity, in my eyes it’s immoral.

So I started a social enterprise called @robbinhooduk on Instagram. I pick up donated clothes and sort them out into two categories: 1) straight to donations (clothes such as plain shirts and comfy clothes) therefore they cannot be sold on and go to people that really need them; 2) the more colourful clothes that you might see on Brick Lane we sell them on Vinted and to independent vetted businesses, donating all the profit to chosen charities by the donees. No sneaky deals, just transparent transactions and getting the real price for clothes not inflated just because they are on Brick Lane or a swanky website.

Do your research and love pre-loved clothing.