A Day in the Life of a Law Student

Statistically speaking, law is the most difficult subject to score a first-class degree in. Does that mean it’s all doom and gloom? As a final year law student and certified survivor, I would argue in the negative.

10am: Lecture
They say that to win the day you’ve got to win the morning, and what better way to do that than to tick a lecture off my to-do list? Lectures are designed for students to sit down and soak up knowledge from some of the most eminent scholars in the field. King’s takes that last part seriously: several times during my three years, the leading textbook in the area of law I was studying had been written by none other than the academic lecturing right in front of us!

11pm: Lunch and work
A perk of being based at the Strand campus in my second and third years was that I am never restricted to hanging out with law students. I can head to lunch with a law lecture buddy, catch up with a Physics friend, or meet up with my flatmate from the Classics department.

Once I’d re-fuelled on good food and company, it’s time to get through readings. It pays to know good places to study especially if, like me, you’re the type that needs silence to get through heavy and complex material. My go-to spots are the study space on the ground floor of the King’s building and one of the computer rooms on the 4th floor.

1:30 pm: Call home
Because of the 7- to 8-hour time difference, midday tends to be the best time to ring up my family who, by then, would have just finished dinner. Every international student knows the struggle of making time for calls like this but, most will add, it’s always worth it.

3pm: Tutorial
The beauty of tutorials is that I could ask my tutor any question without the pressure of impressing an entire lecture theatre. My queries ranged from anything and everything that baffled me in the earlier readings or lecture. If you made full use of the class and were lucky, you could walk in confused and walk out with a clear understanding, all without having spent hours of grueling researching trying to figure it out on your own.

4pm: Back to work
Did I mention that textbooks, judgments, and statutes don’t make for easy reading?

6pm: Mooting training
Most classes are done and dusted by late afternoon, but for those who liked to get involved, the day didn’t end there: it was off to Bhangra class, an evening coding workshop, or a fundraising dinner! This past year, my Monday evenings were spent training for the Willem C. Vis International Mooting Competition. King’s has a strong mooting tradition and its teams have won or placed top spots on worldwide rankings in several international competitions.

The life of a law student is challenging and demanding, but never without its upsides. After all, at the end of the day, it’s what you want to make of it.

Hannah Tablan