Comparing London to my Home Country: USA

Before moving to London to start university at King’s I had never been to England before, and I had absolutely no idea of what to expect from it. Since I’m lucky enough to have grown up speaking English, I figured everything would be the same as it was at home. After spending almost a year here, I am happy to say that I couldn’t have been more wrong.

I had not experienced the fast-paced lifestyle of London in the New Jersey suburbs I grew up in, so while it was initially daunting, I’ve come to love the variation and excitement life day-to-day. Going to university in London is such a special experience since students have all the benefits of university resources, like the student union and societies, while also being able to take advantage of the city. London in particular offers incredible student discounts for restaurants and shopping that I was never able to find in the US!

One of my favorite parts of London is the people who make it such a lively and vibrant place to be. Compared to the United States, London is so much closer to other countries and makes international travel much easier. While in the US you can drive for 5 hours and still be in the same state, you can take a 2-hour train to Paris! I’ve been lucky enough to make friends to visit in other countries on weekends, which would have never been possible from New Jersey. I love the diversity that this brings to London as well, as it’s common to meet someone from a place I’ve never visited. In this year, I’ve met people from around the world that I would not have had the chance to meet if I had stayed in the US.

For me, London has offered an experience that’s been challenging and rewarding, while maintaining the familiarity of a common language. And of course, finally, I can’t forget to mention how much I love the London accent!

Kelly Mackiw