Meeting Deadlines

If you are like me, then you tend to procrastinate whenever you can. It seems like it is especially hard to be productive in London when there are so many fun things to do and so many places to see. Also, when you strive for perfection, it can sometimes overwhelm you and prevent you from starting anything; you think of every task as some ‘big thing’ that needs to be perfect and you don’t think you can do it as well as you should. So, you put it off until the last minute – and then it definitely cannot be done perfectly, simply because you don’t have enough time.

What I have learned recently, and what has helped me a lot in accomplishing my tasks, is having the attitude that every little bit counts. If you start early enough, you can do just small bits of a task, which in the end will lead to that task being done on time and as best as you can, since you will have enough time to improve it. So, don’t try to do everything at once the day before or a few days before – you know that that never works well! Just start early and do little bits of work, as imperfect as they may seem, and improve them along the way.

So if, for example, you have an essay to write, don’t overwhelm yourself by thinking “I have to write 3000 words and it has to be the best essay that was ever written”. Divide that task into smaller tasks, and every day do just a small bit. And it doesn’t have to be perfect while you are doing it, you can always improve it later. It can also help you to create a schedule so that you know when each of those smaller tasks needs to be done. Give yourself mini-deadlines that will ensure you won’t miss the real deadline.

Another thing that helps me is to set the timer on my phone to 45 minutes, and work during those 45 minutes, and rest a bit after the time is up. That helps me to stay focused and prevents me from checking my social media accounts, because I know that the time is running out.

I know it can be tempting to procrastinate, but I promise you you will feel much better if you just do the work. Good luck with meeting your deadlines! 🙂

Matea Krivanek