My Journey to King’s

I reckon every one of you have different objectives for studying. In this post, let me briefly introduce my subjective experiences as to why I chose King’s and what is student life at King’s like.

In choosing where to study, I started by considering “which city is the best”. I believe postgraduate studies requires learning that goes beyond campus. You can learn a lot from the distinctive local history and culture, as well as opportunities for networking and internships. Especially, in my digital humanities field, London seemed to be an ideal location owing to its multi-cultural and diverse community that feeds a fertile ground for new innovations (I will start an internship at a start-up in City). King’s has become my primary choice because they are the pioneer in the field. Staff and lecturers are extremely friendly at King’s, so please don’t hesitate to drop them an e-mail if you have any questions.

Next, let me talk about my student life at King’s. I moved from Japan to England in July 2017. From the beginning of August, I undertook a Pre-sessional English Language course for 5 weeks, even though I held an unconditional offer (for those in humanities degrees, I recommend taking the course because academic English can be pretty complicated). The main course started from mid-September. As King’s is a university that has so many different faculties (I would say Waseda and Keio are the Japanese equivalents), each diverse department has unique culture, atmosphere, and demographic. For example, in the department of Digital Humanities to which I belong, many students are interested in digital marketing, journalism and so on, but there are so many opportunities to interact with people in Business School, Law School, Creative Industries department and many others through numerous societies or King’s residence life. I find it one of the advantages of King’s that we can interact with people with completely different interests.

The biggest difference between King’s and Japanese Universities would be the level of autonomy required. For instance, the modules I undertake are assessed sorely by the essays which you submit at the end of the semester. What you learn in class is taken for granted, rather what’s important is how you use those theories to form your persuasive arguments. In other words, just ‘knowing’ theories will not assure you good marks.

I hope this article helps you imagine your life at King’s. If you have any questions, please ‘autonomously’ ask the relevant parties. Good luck.

Yuki Sugiyama 

Hi, this is Yuki, and I am working towards a master’s degree in ‘Digital Culture and Society’ at King’s College London. After graduating from a Japanese university, I had worked in Tokyo for 5 years before coming to King’s. I really liked my job and livelihood in Tokyo, but I decided to take on a new challenge to move away from my comfort zone. My job, to simplify, was to plan and create advertising campaigns. By becoming a ‘digital’ specialist here in London, I aim to be a communications professional. For the future, I have considered many options including working for public sector such as International organisations.