Tips from a final year student: what I wish I’d known earlier

a1

Author: Anuthida

Two years ago I boarded my 13-hour flight from Singapore to London, pretty much clueless about what was in store for me at the other end of the world. The heady mix of moving to a different continent and making the leap to higher education was certainly daunting, but I eventually settled in well enough. As a seasoned pro (okay, that might be a gross exaggeration), here are some tips on navigating Uni life.

1. Participate

I cannot overstate this enough. In my first year, along with every other fresher, I signed up for pretty every much society during Freshers’ Fair, but only ended up going for about 1 or 2 taster sessions before deciding that I didn’t want to commit to anything. Though I’ve met my fair share of coursemates and friends along the way, joining a society would probably have made it a lot easier to meet people with similar interests. However, if you feel like you have enough on your plate, keep in mind that you can always join in again in your second and even third year, like I did – societies at King’s are always welcoming!

1. Study

Seems obvious enough, but when you’re faced with a completely a2independent schedule, it might seem incredibly tempting to skip that 9am lecture for some extra shut-eye, or leave writing a 3,000 word paper to the night before it’s due. It’s easy enough to say you won’t fall prey to these bad habits (and of course, lots of people at King’s don’t), but making a conscious effort to keep up is super important to make sure you achieve what it is you set out to accomplish when you first decided to go to Uni. Being in London can seem so distracting, but along with all the thrills of the city, remember that you’re also surrounded by a wealth of educational resources – make use of them!

1. Don’t forget to have fun

Relish your time at King’s and in London. Time flies – year after year, I found myself scratching my head at how it all happened so fast. First year seemed to be over in a blink of an eye, I hurtled through study abroad during my second year, and now, too soon, I find myself on the verge of graduating. It’s a bittersweet thing, looking at the sunset and skyline as I cross Waterloo Bridge or savouring the crisp winter morning air, knowing that I will be moving back home next a3August. Though it is important to keep up with coursework, having fun is equally important – in the future when you look back, you don’t want your memories of Uni to only be of stressful, sleepless nights cooped up in the Maughan Library, but also filled with friends, new experiences and all London has to offer (maybe then, in retrospect, you might reminisce about your time in the Maughan).