A day as a King’s graduate student

int - 1 (002)

Author: Diana

Being a student is not as easy as it sounds. However, the truth is, that what matters the most, is the person you become after you finish your studies, not only academically, but as a whole. Having the opportunity to study in one of the best universities in the world and live in one of the most amazing cities, one can grow in so many ways.

I will narrate my day as a postgraduate student at King’s College London from the first morning coffee to bed time:

First thing in the morning, prepare some fresh coffee to energize my mind for a busy day. Do my hair and my makeup, although I have to admit that sometimes I wake up a little bit late, and I have to do my makeup on the train. But when I actually have time, I have a quick breakfast before heading to the train station.

My first class is at 10 AM, so I try to leave my apartment around 9:15, to arrive a couple of minutes before class. I take my Quantitative Research Design course, which I really like, and then we have a 15-minute break before the next class. This is the perfect time to eat an apple and catch up with my classmates. At 11:30 AM I take my Quantitative Data Analysis course, my favourite module. And, after the class, I usually meet with some friends at the Strand Chapters to have lunch together and talk about our plans for the weekend. Then I go to my laboratory to practice everything we learned from the Data Analysis lecture.

int - 1 (1) (002)

And, sometimes in the department, we have guest speakers, and one of our professors usually organizes a nice and informal meeting with them at a Café close to the campus. So, I regularly try to go, have some coffee and talk about some of the topics discussed in lecture earlier that week. I love to be very involved in the university activities, so I try to attend at least two conferences or presentations per week. I am very interested in politics and also in medicine so if there is a talk going on that day that I am interested in, which are usually around 6 PM, I go. I think this is one of my favourite parts of the day because I learn something different without having the pressure that I have to learn it, plus it’s a great place to network with well-known professors, authors, doctors or politicians. So I love it.

At this point, I am usually very very exhausted, so I head home, have a light dinner while talking to my flatmates, or to my family on the phone. Then I don’t know how, but I get the energy to go to the gym. It really helps to have a friend to go with, because we motivate each other. After the gym, I take a shower, and I love to drink tea at night, so I do, and if still need to finish some readings, this is the time I do it. If I don’t, I like to watch a series and relax a little bit.

I am always very very busy, but that is how I like it. Conferences and meetings are optional, but I think that if I am here, I should get the most out of this experience. And as I was telling you at the beginning, it is not only about grades and classes. Living in a different country makes you grow as a person.

It’s not easy to be apart from the people you love and live in a very different country, but this experience has made me more independent and stronger, and this is one of the things that I value the most. Even the simplest things of the everyday life make the experience of living in London a unique one. So if you want to get out of your comfort zone and if you are ready to challenge yourself in multiple ways, I think studying at King’s is the perfect option for you.

london-1081820_960_720 (002)