Making your dreams come true in London

Author: Diana

Around three years ago when I was starting my third year of undergrad in the University of Texas Pan-American, I made my second study abroad program. This time I travelled to Spain. The program itself was fantastic, but after a month of studying in Salamanca, Spain, my friend and I decided to travel another month around Europe. We had the opportunity to go to Brussels, Norway, Italy, France, Poland, Ireland and we made a stop in London. Our experience in every country was very unique and amazing, but as soon as we arrived in London, I just felt in love with this incredible city. One of the things that I most love about London is how culturally diverse it is. I clearly remember taking the tube to the British Museum and while in there listening to so many different languages.

I really love to learn about other cultures, so being around so many diverse people was something very special for me. In our first night in London, I started to look for universities. At the time, I was doing my B.A. in Political Science, and at the same time, a B.A. in General Studies with a concentration in Pre-Medicine. I know you might be thinking that those two degrees are extremely different. And it is true in some ways, but there are also so many ways to connect politics with health, and that was exactly what I was aiming for. I am very passionate about improving the health of the citizens, and I truly believe that every person deserves a high-quality medical attention. As a doctor, one can help a lot of people in a direct way, but I knew that if I really wanted to make a large scale improvement in my country, Mexico, I needed to get involved in national and international politics.

While searching for options, three universities stood out, including, of course, King’s College London. The program that I was interested in, and that now, I am happily studying, is Global Health and Social Justice. I remember not wanting to go to bed because I wanted to read everything about this program. And the more that I read, the more I was thinking, “this is it, this is what I want.” I went to bed, and the next day while doing some touristic activities here in London, I was just wondering where would those universities be. I wanted to see them and if possible enter and take a quick look at them. Unfortunately, we were only in London for a few days, and I was not able to visit the universities. But since that trip, in the summer of 2014, I knew what I wanted to do after graduating from college. The rest of our trip was astonishing, a real adventure.

And, now, I am in my second term of my master program at KCL, and I have to tell you that this has been one of the most wonderful experiences I have had in my life. This program is exactly what I was looking for, the perfect combination between the social sciences and health. I love to live here, and as I mentioned before, I love that now I have met so many people from all around the world, from Europe, Asia, North America and Latin America. One of my closest friends here is from Portugal, and she is studying fashion design, which I think is amazing. So no matter what career you want to pursue, business, drama, engineering, or any other, if you are ready for a lifetime adventure, and you put all your passion and dedication to it, I can assure you, you can make your dreams come true, and what better place than here, London.