Exploring London on a weekend – Shoreditch + Borough market

It’s the start of your weekend after a week of lectures and seminars, and you’re thinking ‘I wanna make the most of my weekend so : what should I do? where should I go? where should I explore?’

Hop onto the overground and get off at Shoreditch High street (Zone 1), wdishoomhich if I were to describe to you would be similar to Camden Town only, less busy and is a mixture of ‘upper-end’ atmosphere with an edgy, grunge feel to the area.  If you’re in the mood for good food, I highly suggest Dishoom in Shoreditch (there are a few other branches in London) which is a beautifully, edgy lit up corner restaurant, with its wonderfully aromatic incense burning away and its Bombay-an styled decor, you’ll be whisked away into the streets of Mumbai, where the restaurant originally began its chain. Try the ruby chicken; your tastebuds will genuinely explode with the glorious flavours that are complimented with both a generous mixture of sweet and savoury. With the food under 10 pounds each dish, you’re bound to leave fully satisfied and wanting to come back next weekend! So now that you’re interested in a well-budgeted restaurant that sounds like convincingly good, I bet you’re wanting to know what type of cuisine it is…

It’s Indian.

banksy

Aside from food, you’ve got to check out Banksy’s artwork nearby the street! You can feel the artwork on the wall and admire all the other graffiti sprayed onto the brick walls – past the Banksy’ art is a Taiwanese bubble tea store which, if you love Bubbleology, you’ll realise what you’ve been missing out on: real bubble tea. (Go for the original milk tea with tapioca pearls)

After all the walking, a group of my friends and I headed over to Borough market (Three Crown Square, a 2 minute walk from the tube station: London Bridge borough fruit– northern/jubilee line) which, by the way if you haven’t been to – make your way down there this weekend! Get some fresh fruit and vegetables there if you prefer going to a market (although it’s definitely more pricey than going to a farmer’s market), taste some freshly made burgers or oysters for just under 10 pounds too! If you love cheese, then forget Sainsbury’s or Aldi, try some soft or hard cheese right there in the pop up market stall and buy them – you won’t regret it! If you, like me, can’t eat until at least 2 hours after you’ve woken up – grab a cheeky pastry from any of the many pastry stalls to choose from, which seem to always be owned by Frenchman, and forget about a strict or healthy diet and ENJOY that pastry.

borough market

So go on, go treat yourself this weekend – it’ll end your hard-working week perfectly, and therapeutically get you ready to begin another busy week at King’s.