Tam’s exam and study tips

What study habits have you adopted for your degree thus far?
My degree is mostly qualitative, therefore the best habits I have adopted is to do a lot of reading. Students are given a reading list in the first weeks of the degree, and my advice would be to read as many of those books on the list as possible as it allows you to really open your mind and get into the essence of the degree. I am sure many people who are thinking of this degree do this already however it really is good practice to be up to date with world news and social media, which helps during class discussions.

What tips do you have for preparing for a master’s at King’s?
The main tip is to do your research on exactly what topics you are interested in; this will come in handy when selecting your modules because the more informed you are the easier the choice will become. Another tip would be to start thinking about your dissertation topic; the earlier you start thinking about it and preparing for it the more advantaged you are. Within the first few months you will be required to submit a 1000 word proposal of your topic and while that doesn’t sound like much, with all the other things going on, it’s worth having a topic in mind as early as possible.

How do you plan ahead and manage your workload?
I currently work as well as studying so I don’t have much time for anything. Therefore, time management is essential for me. Once you get into the groove, it becomes a way of life. I have very good rapport with my tutors, therefore even if I can’t make the class they know that I am on it and I wont miss a thing. Accordingly I’d advise that you keep tutors informed of your movements if you miss anything in class. Some modules publish their material online in the Keats portal, which makes life very easy as I can login anywhere in the world and catch up on anything I missed. The final thing is planning ahead; when I know I have an important week ahead at work, I make sure I utilize my weekends and any free time to be ahead with my studies. You are given all your assessment dates and deadlines early in the year so you really can plan ahead months in advance making sure you don’t waste any spare time.

What sort of academic support is offered at King’s?
King’s has very engaging supervisors, which is useful. The university also offers classes throughout the year on pretty much any subject, and the classes are free to King’s students. I have listed a few examples below:

Public speaking workshops
Academic English skills
Study support skills
Modern language courses
Free online language resources for king’s students.

If you are a non-native English language speaker, what sort of support does King’s have for such students?
The English language center provides support tailored to the student, a lot of my non – native English-speaking friends told me they just showed up, had a chat with the department, and they were given a lot of support.

Is there any other advice you would offer re: study skills at a master’s level?
If you follow this link you will be able to see all study support on offer to King’s students.