Q&A with Katherine, MA Terrorism, Security and Society

PG Katherine's photoWhich living person do you most admire, and why? My sister because she demonstrates the greatest perseverance and optimism of any person I’ve met.

Which book changed your life? Pope Joan because it was the first time I remembering being challenged for what I had been taught to believe about history, women’s empowerment and religion.

What is your most treasured possession? That’s tough – probably my violin. I played violin for 13 years and it taught me so many important lessons and gave me an appreciation for passion                                                                   and music and life.

Who would play you in the film of your life? Probably Zooey Deschanel because she’s the right combination of quirky and determined.

If you could bring something extinct back to life, what would you choose? I guess I would rather spend my energy coming up with solutions to prevent further species from becoming extinct in the first place – polar bears, tigers and pandas for sure!

Which words or phrases do you most overuse? “Uffda” – I am very Minnesotan and Norwegian!

How do you relax? Netflix and Chill – not even sorry. Or, if a lake happens to be nearby I would not turn that down!

Who would you invite to your dream dinner party? If the conditions are alive or dead, I would say Alan Turing, Ruth Bader-Ginsburg and Madeline Albright (also, Amy Poehler)

If you could go back in time, where would you go? I would probably go back to the 1920s – I find the prohibition movement fascinating and I love the music and dancing from that era.

What is your favourite word? “Home” – I am very family oriented and for me, home is wherever my family is, which makes it special and meaningful.

If you could edit your past, what would you change? I would try new things earlier on – I didn’t learn to get out of my comfort zone until just a few years ago!

When were you happiest? Singing in a Christmas Choir Concert with 450 peers at Minnesota Orchestra Hall.

What would your best friend say is your best quality? I think she would say my best quality is being very intentional.

Note about my photo: Although I am not pictured in the photo, this is from the Churchill War Rooms here in London. It is one of the coolest museums and is completely dedicated to the life and legacy of Winston Churchill. As I am studying Terrorism, Security and Society at King’s, my perspective on foreign policy appreciation, especially in times of war, has changed. It was so much fun to see Churchill’s bunker and maps rooms!

For more information about Katherine’s course, please follow the link