Post contributed by Julie, War Studies

Hi, my name is Julie from France. I am 18 years old, and I just finished my first year at King’s. I am studying War Studies, and all of my classes are at Strand campus.

When I arrived in London, I was still 17 years old. It was impressive to be in a huge international city, mainly because I come from a town in the South of France, which is not that big. I remember, it was like a dream, to be by myself not knowing anyone and having to get used to this new chapter of my life. This dream was real, and before I even realised, my life changed completely for the best. This first year was a fantastic year that I will never forget.

I stayed at one of the King’s residences taking care of under-18s. I was placed in an en suite, sharing the kitchen and the ‘living room’ with ten other under-18 students. In my opinion, the fact that everybody was around the same age made it easier to be well included and safe as minors. We all turned 18 at some point, but it did not change anything.

In that kitchen I met some amazing people who are now friends that I love a lot. Living with people is something unique, which creates links that will stay for a very long time. Since the beginning, we shared a lot of things, while respecting each other and our belongings. I think it is crucial to talk to your flatmates and establish some friendly rules to follow. Even if everyone gets along, it avoids potential conflicts. It allows everyone to live in a friendly environment, and that is why I have amazing memories in that kitchen. Every time one of us was celebrating his/her 18th birthday, we bought a cake and eating it all together. We were also organising movie nights or just little friendly parties.

If you just arrived, King’s activities, especially at the beginning of the year, are a fantastic way to meet a lot of friendly and kind people who can become your friends. Even after, throughout the year, in each residence, there are themed nights and activities to do. It is an excellent way to meet new people and free your mind from stress and anxiety.

Another thing that I appreciate being in one of King’s residences is having access to the BeActive program, which is free for students living in King’s accommodation. It is a friendly social part of King’s Sport organising events classes such as basketball, football, yoga, dance, pilates. The aim is really to enjoy and meet new friends there, no skills are required for anything. I even had the chance to be an Activator supervising the activities, and it was useful. I learned a lot of new skills and values!

If I had to tell you something before starting your first year it would be that: you don’t have to worry or stress about anything. This year was the best year of my life, being able to study what I like while living with amazing people. With some organisation, even if you have to study a lot, you can do so many things. You can be part of one of King’s societies, do exercise, do activities with other student and visit London, which is a fantastic city, especially in winter or at night it is magical!

I hope you will enjoy your experience at King’s.

Julie.