A worrier’s guide to starting at King’s

Feeling nervous about moving to King’s soon?

That’s completely understandable and natural, and you’re not the only one feeling like this. 

This time last year I was stressed and overwhelmed. It didn’t hit me until a few weeks before my big move to London that I was about to embark on a big lifestyle change and that was when I felt very anxious. Looking back, I wish I channeled this anxiety into excitement because I had so many things to look forward to! 

By slightly altering your mindset or just doing a bit of extra prep, you’ll feel much more excited about your arrival to King’s. Do any of these sound familiar?

I’m worried about… Meeting people and making friends

French Reaction GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

To meet people before you arrive at King’s, join your residence Facebook group and speak to other people living there. Nobody really knows anyone when they arrive at King’s though so don’t worry about not knowing anyone too much. If you’re naturally shy, try your hardest to push yourself out of your comfort zone and speak to people. Attending events and joining clubs/societies will help and act as a bit of an icebreaker. 

Find your residence Facebook group:

Angel Lane I Atlas I Great Dover Street Apartments I Julian Markham House I Moonraker Point I Orchard Lisle & Iris Brook I Stamford Street Apartments I Tower Bridge I Vauxhall I Wolfson House

I’m worried about… Leaving my friends and family at home

The Help Reaction GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

This is one of the hardest things about moving to King’s but there are things you can do to make it easier. Make plans with them BEFORE you leave so that you have something in the calendar to look forward to – they could even come and visit you in London! Try to keep in touch with them regularly too. They’re just at the other end of the phone, so keep them updated about all the amazing things going on during Welcome Week.

I’m worried about… Learning to look after myself

Colin Farrell Reaction GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

You’re about to become independent for the first time, it’s an exciting time. Before you leave home, ask your family members for some cooking and laundry lessons so that you at least have some basic life skills under your belt. It gives you an excuse for some bonding time too! 

I’m worried about… Finding my way around London

Confused Mountain GIF by Lidl Voyages - Find & Share on GIPHY

You’ve got (at least) 3 years to explore this city and you really should embrace every part of the adventure. London is big so start by making yourself familiar with your local area. After you’ve sussed this out, you can start exploring other places in the city and trust me, there’s a LOT to see! Your safety should always be a priority and lucky for you, London is a really safe place to live but maybe at first, find a friend to travel around with so that you don’t get lost as much. 

Check out other students’ blogs on their experiences in their residences and the local areas on the ResiLife blog here

I’m worried about… Not having enough money

Sarah Colonna Netflix GIF by Insatiable - Find & Share on GIPHY

Once you’ve worked out your budget and know how much money you have on a monthly or termly basis, you may realise that you need a bit of extra cash. Living in a city like London, you have LOTS of opportunities to get that. You could work in King’s Residences or help out on university open days – register with King’s Talent Bank which gives KCL students exclusive access to jobs on campus. There are thousands of cafés and shops all over London that will offer part-time work too. The possibilities are endless, so try not to worry about it too much.

This is such an exciting time; try not to let worries and anxieties get to you too much before moving to King’s. Of course, this new change is nerve wracking but it’s a once in a lifetime opportunity that should hopefully fill you with lots of positivity and excitement.

4 Comments

1. SR

I’m one of the worriers but I’m happier after reading this. Thank you so much and I’m looking forward to experiencing at King’s!

2. crypto casino

so much fantastic info on here, : D.

3. Boring Bug

This was quite resourceful. I have personally been getting anxious with the move-in date.

4. Sarah

This really helped my nerves, thank you