5 reasons why I love Mathematics  

By Shambs, BSc Mathematics and Statistics

Every single time I tell somebody I’m doing a Mathematics degree, there is one predominant reaction I get: “Woah, that’s deep! You must be a geek. 

While it is definitely wrong to stereotype all maths students, there is an underlying point which stands out – Mathematics isn’t everybody’s cup of tea. But that’s ok! While some get an adrenaline rush by spending hours tackling a problem, the very same problem can make others to want to pull their hair out! Thankfully, I am of the former category, which is why I chose to pursue a Maths degree. Here are 5 reasons why I love Maths: 

1. Numbers help us understand the world, and Math helps us understand numbers. 

The real-life applications of Mathematics are endless. We are surrounded by numbers, equations and algorithms – especially in this age of data science, with huge data sets that can only be understood through statistical models and analysis. Maths gives us the ability to view the world in a way nothing else can! 

2. Maths is black and white, there’s no room for ambiguity. 

Unlike many other subject areas, Maths is not subjective. Every question has a clear answer and when you solve it, you can either be right or wrong. There’s no grey area. I personally enjoy this objective approach and the certainty that comes with it. 

3. Old concepts are as relevant as new concepts. 

There is a sort of hierarchy with Mathematical concepts; for instance you simply cannot understand calculus without having a hold over basic algebra first. Due to this, you have to bear in mind that whenever you learn a new concept, it is something which will be referred to repeatedly as you learn the next one. As you can see how everything clicks into place, it makes learning more interesting and engaging. 

4. Nothing can be proved without evidence. 

There is no place for speculation. Whenever you try to prove something in maths, you need evidence. I personally believe that this is something which should be applied in other aspects of life as well…imagine the number of misunderstandings which could be prevented if visual/auditory evidence had to be provided!

5. It presents a good mind-bending challenge. 

Every maths problem is a new, fresh and unique challenge. The adrenaline rush you get when you finally solve a problem which initially seemed impossible is unparalleled. I feel like maths constantly keeps you on your toes and never gets monotonous, so each new day learning in this wonderful subject area is unexpected and something you can look forward to.  

Read more…

Find out why Puja chose to study Maths at King’s

Read about Daniela’s experience as a woman studying a STEM subject at King’s

Find out more about King’s Department of Mathematics