Why I chose to study Electronic Engineering at King’s

Lana

by Lana Abi Rached, MEng Electronic Engineering with Management, Department of Informatics

King’s College London is a real melting pot of cultures and themes. As I was applying to universities and colleges, the multidisciplinary aspect of KCL attracted me the most; it adds a unique and crucial value to every single student’s degree. For instance, I have been studying Electronic Engineering but have had the opportunity to take one management class every semester. Moreover, I took part in awards around more literary subjects which has been possible thanks to the broadness of King’s educational palette.

King’s is also at the heart of London. The Department of Informatics which I am part of has offices in Bush House. The new facilities and labs are really game changing and make studying easier. The Strand is a vibrant street with multiple great landmarks around it. Not only is it lively, but it is in the centre of one of the biggest cities in the world, making its geographical location a great asset.

Being an international student, I was wary about the services provided to students from abroad. Luckily, King’s has deployed continuous help to new students in order for them to feel welcome. From housing to freshers events, KCL makes you feel welcome from day one.

King’s has also a wide range of clubs and societies making its campus life very active. I personally was looking forward to joining the football club and was not deceived by the quality of management and facilities. It was a pleasure to be part of the varsity tournament in which the King’s spirit is at its highest against UCL.

On to more engineering-specific advantages, King’s has renowned professors in engineering, notably in communication and signal processing. The Department of Informatics is also quite big which gives us the opportunity to learn more alongside our colleagues in Computer Science (CS) and enjoy a developed robotics branch.

After three years at KCL, I can personally say that I have never regretted my choice. I am choosing to continue my masters here since the Department of Informatics is working on offering interesting opportunities to engineers. Lively, welcoming, multi-disciplinary and thorough, King’s College London is a great place to learn, grow and flourish as a well-rounded engineer.