The MOSAIC Trial is open!

Welcome to our new blog to report news about MOSAIC (Motivating Structured walking Activity in Intermittent Claudication), a randomised controlled trial of a new treatment aimed at increasing walking in people with Intermittent Claudication (IC).

IC is a painful leg condition caused by Peripheral Arterial Disease (PAD). People with IC have narrowed or blocked arteries of their leg(s), reducing blood flow to the muscles, which causes cramping leg pain. Walking exercise improves walking ability and provides other health benefits in people with IC, such as improved quality of life. Unfortunately walking recommendations to offer at least 2 hours supervised exercise per week to people with IC are not being implemented as there are limited walking programmes offered by the NHS. Patients may benefit from support and guidance to increase their walking.

The MOSAIC Trial has been developed in consultation with patients and clinicians to evaluate a physiotherapy-led walking treatment. This provides patients with tools, such as a pedometer and walking diary, to help them increase their walking. The impact of MOSAIC treatment on walking ability will be compared with usual NHS care

The trial is now open and recruiting participants referred by the Vascular teams at Guy’s & St Thomas’ Hospitals, King’s College Hospital, Ashford & St Peter’s Hospitals and St George’s Hospital University Hospital NHS Foundation Trusts. We aim to recruit 192 patients in total and the main eligibility criteria are: 1) above 50 years of age, 2) confirmed IC caused by PAD, 3) not currently recommended for revascularisation or 4) no contraindications to walking exercise. Patients will not be able to take part if they have 1) unstable IC, 2) walking more than 90 minutes per week, 3) contraindications to walking exercise or 4) recent or upcoming participation in supervised exercise therapy.

We look forward to providing you with more updates about MOSAIC as the trial progresses. Please do contact us for more information or visit our trial website https://www.kcl.ac.uk/lsm/research/divisions/hscr/research/groups/Rehabilitation/MOSAIC-Trial.aspx

Contact: Brittannia Abdul-Aziz, MOSAIC Research Assistant brittannia.abdul-aziz@kcl.ac.uk

Join the conversation

28 Comments

1. Hi! This post could not be written any better! Reading through this post reminds me of
    my previous mate! He always kept chatting about this.
    I will forward this page to him. Pretty sure he will have a good read.

Many thanks for sharing!

2. An impressive share! I’ve just forwarded this onto a colleague who
    had been conducting a little homework on this. And he actually ordered me breakfast simply because I stumbled upon it for
    him… lol. So let me reword this…. Thanks for the meal!!
    But yeah, thanks for spending time to discuss this topic here on your website.

3. Have you ever thought about including a little bit more than just your articles?
    I mean, what you say is important and everything. But think about if you added some great photos or video
    clips to give your posts more, “pop”! Your content is excellent but with images and video clips, this site could undeniably be one of the greatest
    in its field. Great blog!

4. I was extremely delighted to discover this web-site. I wanted to many thanks for your time for this remarkable read!! I absolutely enjoying every little of it as well as I have you bookmarked to take a look at new things you article.

5. An interesting discussion is definitely worth comment. I do think that you need to write more on this subject, it might not be a taboo subject but generally people do not discuss such topics. To the next! Many thanks!!

6. I was extremely pleased to find this site. I need to to thank you for ones time for this particularly wonderful read!! I definitely really liked every part of it and I have you saved as a favorite to see new information on your web site.

7. Hello there! I could have sworn I’ve been to this website before but after browsing through a few of the articles I realized it’s new to me. Anyhow, I’m definitely pleased I stumbled upon it and I’ll be book-marking it and checking back regularly!

8. I was very pleased to find this site. I want to to thank you for your time due to this wonderful read!! I definitely really liked every part of it and i also have you saved as a favorite to check out new things on your web site.

9. I’m impressed, I have to admit. Rarely do I encounter a blog that’s both educative and entertaining, and let me tell you, you have hit the nail on the head. The problem is something which not enough people are speaking intelligently about. I’m very happy that I came across this during my search for something concerning this.