Careers at King’s: Support and guidance

Medical Law Postgraduate at King'sWhatever stage of your career you’re at, King’s Careers and Employability can support you. The first port of call is the online portal which allows you to browse job and internship opportunities (including bespoke internship programmes exclusively for King’s students!), register for careers events and book appointments with a careers consultant. There are so many opportunities and events on offer that you will almost certainly find something useful and interesting to you. Make sure you sign up to the email alerts to receive tailored suggestions every day! I have attended a careers event on undertaking a PhD and an academic career, which was both informative and inspiring. There are also variety of appointment types available to suit your needs. For example, Practice Interviews (to receive feedback on your interview performance) and Careers Guidance Appointments (to discuss careers more generally). When I was applying for my PhD, I booked an Application Advice Appointment to have my CV checked. I went to the Strand Careers Centre for a face to face meeting with a friendly careers consultant who was able to provide some invaluable advice on how to improve the structure of my CV. The careers consultant was also able to suggest other events and websites I might find useful.

In addition to the online portal, you will have access to the Law School’s Careers and Employability page on the King’s e-learning platform. You will be able to find information about the Law School’s dedicated specialist careers consultants here, and advice specifically for Law students. In the meantime you can follow the dedicated Law Careers team on Facebook for updates and information about what is happening. The annual Law Fair is a brilliant opportunity to make contacts and find out about vacation schemes, pupillages and training contracts if you are hoping to pursue a career in legal practice. The firms in attendance this year included Linklaters, Herbert Smith Freehills and Slaughter and May! The portal also has a dedicated space for non-Law careers. For example, you may find the Medical Careers Fair more useful if you have a clinical background.

If you’re looking for part-time work while you’re studying, King’s Talent Bank is really helpful. You will be able to find a variety of vacancies here and a number of these are on-campus, such as student ambassador roles. Part time work can help you support yourself while at university, and also allow you to develop useful transferable skills (such as teamwork and communication) that will be beneficial in your future career.

I feel I have gained so much from King’s Careers and Employability during my time at King’s, and I would encourage you to also make the most of the opportunities on offer.