Stepping into the City: Looking Back at my First Week at King’s – Rebecca Tseng

I arrived in central London with my whole semester packed in two suitcases and listening to the chaotic hubbub of the city streets, I felt both excited and overwhelmed. London is one of the most iconic places in the world and I wanted to make the most of my time here.

I spent the first few days settling in. Figuring out my class schedule was the biggest challenge, but the Global Mobility Office was really helpful in answering my questions. For selection, you email in a Module Request Form (a Word Document) ranking 10 modules you want to take. I highly recommend looking through the modules as soon as possible because modules are first come first serve—and they fill up fast. I actually didn’t end up with any of modules I originally submitted, but I ended up loving my modules anyway! Also, if you’re like me and prefer your modules at certain times (I like starting class around 10 AM), be sure to check the module times on King’s Timetable.

Other first-week errands included collecting my ID card, creating my email and technology account, signing up for the (free!) gym, picking up course packets, and figuring out the tube (the metro or subway). I was worried about buying dorm supplies and groceries, but turns out Primark has fantastic deals on bedding, pillows, and other household essential, Boots and Superdrug has everything you need for toiletries, and Tesco and Sainsbury’s are scattered everywhere for a quick grocery run.

On my third day, I took a sunny day to myself to see London on a hop on/hop off bus tour. It was a fantastic decision! I learned so much about London’s history and felt less intimated by the city. Living somewhere new can be a bit nerve-wracking at first, but after I settled into a school routine and decorated my room with a plant and a Harry Potter poster, London began to feel like home.

Now, four months later, I have one exam left, and I’ll be moving back to the United States. My semester has never passed so fast! My time abroad has made me more confident when navigating unfamiliar circumstances, and I am incredibly thankful for all the fun memories I made.