Settling in to life at King’s – Zhinan Zhang

Looking back at my first couple of weeks at King’s was quite a refreshing experience. Coming from sunny Southern California, I was ready for the change of weather and people. My first impression of King’s is the friendliness of the study abroad advisors, this was set a tone of ease in my early few days in London.

On the first day, I also moved into my residence hall in Stamford Street, and I was surprised by the amount of event planned by the RA and the smile of the staff working at the front desk, I  couldn’t wait to become a King’s student officially.  During orientation week, there are many events planned for study abroad to socialize and explore London. After all, one of the biggest concern for a student choosing to study abroad is being away from their family and friends, but it is always fun to make friends from around the world.

As a War studies major at King’s College, I always like to talk about world politics, and sharing our opinion with citizens from other parts of the world is simply fascinating. I ended up making friends with many other studies abroad students from New Zealand, France, Brazil, and it was simply an opportunity I cannot find at my home university.

On another note, I was having difficulties with module selection during the orientation week, I sometimes find it hard to find particular classes I need, since the UK school system is widely different compares to the US. However, I was able to get my issues resolved thanks to the study abroad advisors from the Global Mobility Office. A tip, if you had any question regarding study abroad, do not hesitate to ask the Global Mobility Office!