There are a variety of different check-lists available. This is a simplified, shortened list of some key essentials which I recommend having ready over summer, rather than a comprehensive list as this varies on students’ needs. You can download a pdf version of the checklist below, here.
King’s Residences also have a check-list on what and what not to bring if you are moving away from home, which you can find here.
General and important documents
- Valid government ID e.g. passport/driver’s licence
- Accommodation contract (if applicable)
- Student finance documents (if applicable) e.g. payment dates
- Vaccination/medical history – ensure you talk to your GP in case you are due any vaccines before leaving
- Student bank account information
- Laptop (optional) – King’s libraries have a number of PCs available alternatively
- USB stick
- Mobile phone
- Audio devices (e.g. headphones and/or portable speaker)
- Entertainment (e.g. game console)
I recommend around 2 of each item including..
- Glasses (plastic cups are also worth bringing)
- Reusable water bottle and coffee cup
- Cutlery set
- Chopping board
- Pans and a wok
- Saucepan and lid
- Oven tray
- Tea towel
Once you arrive, if you are in shared accommodation, I suggest discussing how you may be able to share some things such as measuring jugs, can openers etc. You and your flatmates could also consider a community budget for things such as bin bags, washing up liquid and appliances, e.g kettles, to save each person individually buying their own.
Toiletries & bathroom:
- Bath & hand towel
- Toothbrush and toothpaste – you’ll be getting a lot throughout the course but make sure to bring at least one to start with!
- Shampoo, shower gel etc
- Medicines e.g. paracetamol
- Several t-shirts
- Other tops
- Smart trousers and shoes
- Underwear and socks
- Gloves, hat and scarf
- Fancy dress clothes you may have!
Please remember this isn’t a comprehensive list but key essentials you may want to consider bringing.