Welcome Class of 2018

Hello, and a warm welcome to the King’s College London Dentistry student blog.

My name is Lauren, and over the next few months I’ll be sharing my hints and tips on how to get the most out of dental school, as well as providing an insight as to what it’s like to live, work and study in the capital.

I’m currently in my fourth year of dental school, and last year I completed an intercalated degree in Imaging Sciences. Dentistry is an amazing degree, and the course at King’s is designed with emphasis on modern, research-supported techniques and materials, allowing its graduates to stay current in a fast-paced profession. As you progress through the years, the amount of practical work increases, with students seeing their first patients in the second year and patient numbers and confidence growing upwards from there.

Rest assured, however, that it’s not just about teeth at dental school! Outside of the clinic I’m a keen baker; a pastime that helps me unwind and keeps my friends very happy 😊 Back on campus, we have ample opportunity to get involved with and pursue hobbies with other students through activity groups and societies. Since my first Fresher’s Fair, I’ve been involved with KCLSU, making life-long friends and learning new skills. Last year I was on the committee of Women in Dentistry, volunteering as the inaugural outreach officer. Through this, I helped to organise campus-wide events and liaised with other societies to boost the profile of women in science and technology: something I’m passionate about. The skills that you learn through these groups are easily transferable, and highly desired by employers. If you’re more sport-orientated, as a dental student you’re lucky to be able to join either the GKT hospital sports teams, or the King’s College London team; the two go head to head every year in the Macadam Cup. In the earlier years of the dentistry course, Wednesday afternoons are usually kept free to allow students to play sports and take part in community activities if they wish. To see what some of the Dental Institute’s students get up to in their spare time, why not check out our ‘Not the usual drill’ video below:

That’s all for now, stay tuned for my next post on what it’s like to move to the city and live in the King’s Residences. If you have any questions, comment below and we’ll get them answered for you.

Until next time,

Lauren