Discover, Focus, Action…. What’s that all about? 

I’m sure the first couple of weeks of term passed in a complete blur. I know it did for us at King’s Careers & Employability! So you might not remember filling in a few questions during your enrolment process about how ready you feel for your future career. The first of those questions asks:

What stage of career planning are you currently at?

Options:

• I have a clear career plan
  • I have a few ideas
  • I know what I want to do but don’t have a plan for getting there
  • No idea yet what I will do after this degree
  • Not planning on working or studying

To make it easier for you to work out how everything we offer might help you, and what you will gain from participating, we’ve divided those options into three stages: Discover, Focus, and Action. 

You’ll find reference to each of these stages on all our materials, along with information on how taking part in those activities will help you move on to the next stage.

So are you….

Discover – No idea yet what I will do after this degree

• This stage includes anyone on any degree in any year who is still feeling a bit uncertain, clueless or frankly daunted by what they might do after King’s. It’s also the stage at which you are still figuring out exactly what assets you offer an employer. You can find out more on our website, through our Discover video, and our CareersHub site.

Focus – I have a few ideas, or I know what I want to do but don’t have a plan for getting there 

• At this stage you are starting to narrow down your options, using information and experiences to clarify what interests you, what suits you, and what assets of knowledge, attributes, skills and experience are required to be successful. You can find out more on our website, through our Focus Video, and our CareersHub site.

Action – I have a clear career plan 

• Having a plan before you leave King’s is going to help you become successful in your chosen goals, so at this stage you are ready to put that plan into action. You’ll be gathering the most relevant information and experiences to help you target your applications and interviews. You can find out more on our website, through our Action Video, and our CareersHub site.

Whichever stage you are at, whatever your future holds, there is a huge amount we do that will help you progress from stage to stage, through and after King’s. Come and see us and start your journey now!