King’s will be launching a support centre for maths and stats in September 2014. This follows a pilot in May 2014. The centre will be based in the Maughan Library at the Strand campus and open 2-5pm each weekday afternoon.
The Centre will provide mathematics and statistics support for students who use these skills outside of a Mathematics Degree, and support will be offered on a one-to-one basis by postgraduate students. Training and supervision will be provided for tutors and this is an excellent opportunity to develop your tutoring skills and build experience.
We are looking to recruit 15 students to offer this support, each working one 3 hour shift per week. The centre will be open in term time and we are recruiting for the full academic year. You don’t have to be studying in a mathematical discipline, but do need A-level mathematics and to be highly numerate in either mathematics or statistics.
It is essential that you meet the following criteria:
- A-level mathematics (or equivalent) and a high level of numeracy
- have excellent teaching / tutoring skills
- can demonstrate reliability and punctuality
- are eligible to work in the UK
- are available for at least one afternoon shift 2-5, Monday – Friday during King’s term-times
- are available for a full day’s training on 6 October
Experience of tutoring in maths and / or stats is highly desirable and preference will be given to those with this experience – although training will be provided.
Payment will be made through Direct Temping, and at spinal point 20 on grade 4 – £12.81 per hour.
If you are interested and meet the criteria we’d really like to hear from you. To apply please contact email@example.com by 14 September 2014, with one side of A4 paper detailing:
- your experience
- your areas of expertise in Maths / stats
- how you meet the criteria
- your availability in terms of afternoons
- confirmation that you will be able to attend a full day training session on 6 October.