Stammerers United at King’s

stuc3My name is Claire Norman, I am a French Studies 2014 graduate of the University of Warwick.

Having battled with a stammer since the age of 5, I have completed many achievements – most of which have been carried out during my time at University.

I am setting up the Stammerers Through University Campaign (or ‘STUC’), which aims to provide for those who are affected by stammering a series of seminars in a non-judgemental, supportive environment. These will be conducted by a combination of University stammerers, lecturers, counsellors, anyone with an interest in stammering as well as any psychologists from Universities who are researching the notion of stammering. By doing this, the idea of bringing together King’s students and staff who stammer will create a group of individuals who can, as a collective, discuss and examine issues and possible resolutions. The aim is for the first of these seminars to be held in Spring 2015.

I will hold a Focus Group at King’s to identify areas of concern. The outcomes of which will subsequently be collated and revised and will be used to determine what shall be discussed at the seminar. This is where I need YOU!

If you are a stammerer, know of someone who has a stammer or are closely linked to stammering, I would like to invite you to a Focus Group where you will be able to share your thoughts on support for stammerers at King’s.

This will take place on Friday 27th March in S -2.25 (Strand Building) from 1-4pm. You are more than welcome to stay for the entire duration; likewise you are welcome to ‘drop in’ at any time you wish.

Please email me at clairenorman@stuc-uk.org if you are able to attend so I can gauge numbers. Even if you are unable to attend, please notify me so that I can email you with the questions that I will be asking in the Focus Group.

I do hope that you will respond, willing to help me with this project that I believe will benefit King’s hugely.

Many thanks,
Claire Norman