Neuroscience PhD recommends the City course

Fahd Choudhry now works in Consulting at Deloitte

What did you enjoy most about the City Course?
The opportunity to meet lots of different firms across the City, gaining an insight into different jobs available (and going to the Lloyds of London building)

How did the City Course help you clarify what you wanted to do in your career?
It helped to give me a starting point from which I could look at the firms who I may be interested in applying for.

Could you give a brief description of your current role and an idea of typical activities or issues you deal with?
As a Consulting Analyst my role is help businesses solve a variety of problems – strategic, operational or technical. This will include documenting current or future processes, coming up with solutions to identified problems or supporting the project management

How did you find out about this option and how did you get into it?
Consulting was an area which I wanted to get into, so I did a lot of research, attended many recruitment events and spokes to people in the industry to get a further understanding about what they do.

What are the most and least enjoyable aspects of this role?
Good: I work with some amazing people, get given a lot of responsibility and I am able to contribute to the completion of some really interesting projects. Bad: some projects are not so interesting or the role given is tedious, work can focus more on outcomes rather than discussion, and the hours can be quite intense.

What one piece of advice would you give to someone who is thinking about a career in City and Finance?
Persevere – there is a lot of competition for positions so it is important to know what you want to apply for and to keep at it.

Fahd graduated in 2002 from the University of Aberdeen with a Bsc in Biomedical Sciences. He completed his PhD in Neuroscience from King’s College London in 2009

To apply go to the City Course page.

Updated March 2013