**This information is out of date; please use it for inspiration only**

The Leverhulme Trust Board, through its Research Awards Advisory Committee, is offering approximately 15 Study Abroad Studentships for a period of advanced study or research at a centre of learning anywhere in the world except the United Kingdom or the USA.

Applicants must:

  • Have been resident in the UK for at least 5 years at the time of application.
  •  Hold an undergraduate degree from a UK higher education institution or be able to how evidence of equivalent education in the UK. Final year undergraduates are ot eligible, nor are holders of a permanent academic post who wish to take leave of absence.
  • Either be a student at the time of application or have been registered as a student within the last 8 years.
  • Explain why their work requires residence overseas.

Applications will be considered in all subject areas, but the awards are not intended for those who wish only to improve their knowledge of modern languages. The awards are tenable at a centre of learning anywhere in the world except the UK and USA.

Studentships consist of a maintenance allowance of £17,000 per annum, plus a return air fare to the country of tenure and a baggage allowance, and an allowance of £6,000 per annum when a student is accompanied by a dependent partner. A supplement will be paid to students in Japan. Further allowances are paid at the discretion of the Committee, e.g. a contribution towards overseas fees; internal travel costs associated with the course of study or research and, where appropriate, fieldwork expenses.
Studentships are tenable for between 12 and 24 months and must commence between 1 June 2012 and 1 May 2013.

Updated March 2013