Bioethics & Society alumni series – featuring Gemma McKenzie, ESCR funded PhD candidate at King’s

Gemma McKenzie 2019
Gemma McKenzie, PhD candidate in the Department of Nursing at King’s

Gemma McKenzie (Bioethics & Society, class of 2017) is an ESRC funded PhD candidate at King’s (Department of Nursing) exploring women’s narratives of freebirthing in the UK.

“I first had the idea for my PhD subject when I was working in an entirely different and unrelated career. However, I had no academic contacts, no bioethics background and no idea where to start when searching for funding. I contacted Silvia and immediately knew that a post graduate qualification in Bioethics and Society at King’s would provide me with a solid foundation of knowledge, while also offering me the opportunity to explore my own interests in bioethical issues relating to pregnancy and birth.

The course enabled me to make valuable contacts and refine my ideas. Silvia was a fantastic support in helping me put together my funding application and successfully win a four year scholarship to pursue my research idea.

It has been two years since I graduated, but I still regularly rely on the knowledge I gained from Bioethics and Society, and Silvia continues to be a great support as I pursue my academic career.”

Gemma has undergraduate and postgraduate degrees in law and has previously worked in the legal sector in the UK and abroad. She completed her Bioethics and Society postgraduate certificate in 2017 and is currently in the second year of her ESRC funded PhD at the Florence Nightingale School of Midwifery, Nursing and Palliative Care at King’s.

Applications for the Bioethics & Society MSc for entry September 2019 are open. For info contact Dr Silvia Camporesi.

Join the conversation

1 Comment