Geography Society host their first International Women’s Day careers event in The Exchange

By Iraj Abdul Aziz, President of the GeogSoc

The Geography Society was proud to host its first-ever International Women’s Day careers event in The Exchange, Bush House. The event featured two reputable alumni from the Faculty of Social Science & Public Policy (SSPP), who kickstarted a conversation around the gender-related hurdles in the working environment and how women can overcome them.

We also displayed artwork by current female students, which visually documented how they tackle gender discriminations in our society, in order to further inspire and encourage the women in the room to take the leap.

As Geography Societies Careers and Education Secretary, it was important to me that an event of this nature took place, as I saw myself disappointed with all other panel discussions, as they featured male role models from STEM backgrounds and focused on corporate jobs only.

The Faculty of SSPP is one of the largest on campus and King’s as a university has an approximate ratio of 60-40 females to male students, which is why it was important to me that women, especially undertaking social science degrees, get the exposure they need to make more informed career decisions. As I am set to do my dissertation on the theme of women’s’ careers advancement, I hope that this event is a trailblazer for more of its kind.