Welcome Week/Fresher’s Fair – what does it all mean?

King's College London - Undergraduate Students from the Faculty of Arts & Humanities

Starting university can be both an exciting and scary prospect as you’ll be throwing yourself into situations which might seem unfamiliar and confusing. Don’t worry though – we’re here to provide you with some guidance and reassurance, and our students will elaborate on their experiences and top tips. Keep reading!

Welcome Week/Freshers Fair

Welcome Week usually takes place in the third week of September for most English universities, and it’s a great way to get introduced to the range of facilities, services and events available to you as a student – both academically and socially. During Welcome Week, all new students can find out the information they will need to know to have a happy and healthy time throughout university, from course inductions to library sessions, joining societies to getting settled into halls. This is your ideal time to get fully involved with all aspects of university life!

King’s College London have an app to help you get organised during Welcome Week and keep a track of all the things you’d like to do, as it can get quite full on! You must definitely try to fit in the Freshers Fair, which is a fair showcasing the university’s societies, sports clubs, support services, facilities and more. You can find out anything from healthcare and career options, to exploring the local area, and even getting your NUS student discount card!

King’s has a welcome week before the start of classes in order for the students to attend induction, get to know their classmates and tutors and get familiar with their programmes. A useful event prior to classes starting is the Freshers’ Fair event, where all the students can attend and get to see all the different kinds of societies and groups that will be running throughout the year.

– Dana

Welcome Week is particularly helpful in this area, giving you a chance to discover all of King’s facilities and societies as well as meet lots of new people.

– Ellie

The KCLSU also puts on a number of events and socials during Welcome Week to help you get to know your new uni mates, and to meet a few more en route. These could be anything from a visit to a local attraction, a networking event, group theatre trip, or a big night out. There’s truly something for everyone – you just need to step out of your comfort zone and get involved.

Societies and sports

Most universities offer a wide range of societies and sports clubs for you to join. Societies are groups of people who come together to celebrate or engage in certain interests, or to develop new interests and understanding of things you might not know much about. There are also groups for those wishing to get involved in charity work or volunteering, or to hone their academic knowledge. Sports clubs are available too if you want to join a team competitively, or more casually if you’d prefer to get fit or try out a new sport. The options are endless!

I got involved with many societies which shaped my social life and gave me some invaluable experiences and skills.

– Aaran

I didn’t join any societies until my second year and I wish I started sooner, because I’ve had such an amazing time meeting new people and it really has enriched my university experience!

– Trisha

Hints and tips

I would encourage you to embrace all aspects of university life and take advantage of everything that will be organised for you during freshers’ week. It is the best way to meet people and to socialise.

– Rhiannon

Welcome Week is a great way to get to know people before lectures start and get a feeling of the campus and your lecturers. You will have plenty of opportunities to join societies and attend socials, which I highly recommend going to – it is so much easier to meet people this way!

– Beke

When I found out very quickly that nearly everyone was just as worried and eager to make friends as I was. Everyone is in the same boat – and that boat is full of really good people! Don’t be nervous, you’ll find your people and you’ll fit right in. I also found out that London isn’t as scary nor as expensive as people think!

– Calum

There’s a lot of pressure to have the best first year ever, but don’t forget to relax and, of course, to work as hard as you play. It can take time to get used to having this much independence, especially if you’re from a much more rural setting like I was!

– Tamina

My top tip is to do as much as you can and to talk to as many people as possible at the start so that you settle in a bit more quickly. Nonetheless, make sure you’re looking after yourself too because the last thing you want is to be stuck in bed the second week of uni with fresher’s flu!

– Ellie

We’re not sure about you, but we’re definitely getting excited!!