Home comforts at university – what I miss from home (and what I don’t!)

Deciding to move to another city or country for university is a big decision. While you may feel 100% ready to pack up your things and discover a new place, it’s normal to miss home a little! However, what I miss from my home in Canada is not at all what I thought it would be.

Here is my list of the top 5 home comforts I don’t miss and those that I still do.

5 Things I Don’t Miss From Home

1) Travel time
Canada is a massive country so getting around takes a while. It is so nice to be able to get on a bus, train or plane and explore the rest of the UK. In addition, with Europe on your doorstep and a host of cheap flight operators and Eurostar deals – it’s easy to pop away to a new country for a break! For example, central Paris is just 2h 20mins away on the Eurostar – so you can be there for lunch if you like!

Quick day trip to York

Weekend in Tallinn, Estonia

Cliffs of Moher, Ireland

2) Free Museums
There are so many great free museums around London. From the British Museum and the Victoria and Albert Museum to The National Gallery and the Tate Modern, there is something for everyone to check out.

3) Concerts
Studying music, London is great to be in one of the best cities in the world for live concerts and theatre!

Covent Garden Opera at the Royal Opera House

Live music at Royal Albert Hall
Live music at Royal Albert Hall

4) TV
I thought I would miss watching my favourite Canadian TV shows – but now I love British television.

5) The Countryside
I grew up in the countryside so I thought I would miss it when I moved to a big city. Thankfully, London is filled with green spaces and even a city farm. Check out the beautiful Royal Parks in London – you’re never far away from a place to get away from the hustle and bustle of the city.

Regents Canal
Regents Canal

Hackney City Farm
Hackney City Farm

Primrose Hill
Primrose Hill

5 Things I Miss from Home

1) Space
London is a busy city, and while that means there is always something going on, sometimes I miss having more personal space. Luckily, as I mentioned above, there is always green space within reach if you need to get away from it all – with big parks like Hyde Park, Regent’s Park and Greenwich Park all in the city centre.

Not a person in sight!
Not a person in sight!

2) Food

London has cuisine from all over the world with some of the best restaurants – but sometimes I do miss a home cooked meal with my family.

3) The Weather

I know that London doesn’t always have the best weather, but it’s the fact that there isn’t much snows here that makes me miss Canada! London did have a few snowy days this year but nothing compares to the amount back home.

Somerset House in the snow - London
Somerset House in the snow – London

Banff, Canada
Banff, Canada

4) Supermarkets
I can’t help but miss some of my favourite Canadian products. There is nothing wrong with the stores in the city centre, and I love that there is the option to buy groceries online and have them delivered to your door here, but I miss having 20 types of peanut butter to pick from! It’s a good idea to check out if your favourite foods are stocked here in London – for example, there is an American Food Store here, and a quick Google will show you the countless Asian grocery stores and European food stores all across London. Also, there are a few products sold in the Student Union here at King’s too! Finally – the Harrod’s Food Hall is an experience in itself and does stock some of the international brands you might be missing (although it’s quite pricey!).

5) Family and Pets
It’s an obvious one, but sometimes chatting online just isn’t the same. It’s all worth it to study in such a great city, but nothing beats a cuddle with a loved pet!

Cat
I miss this guy but it’s worth it to study over here

Either way, it’s been a great learning curve coming to study here in the UK, and it’s full of so many exciting and enriching opportunities. Give it a go and see for yourself!