My Experience with University Accommodation (during the Covid-19 pandemic)

Mahak Salik

Hi all. I am Mahak and I’m currently a postgraduate student at King’s studying Public Health. After I accepted my offer from King’s, there was another huge decision to be made. That’s right- where to live?

I have never been outside of my home country, so it was another difficult decision to take. The ongoing pandemic also didn’t allow campus tours. But the accommodation team at King’s was extremely helpful to answer any of my questions within 24-48 hours of receiving an email. I chose a studio at Moonraker point. It is a 15-minute walk to the campus with borough market just nearby. Three grocery store chains are at a maximum of 10-minute walk from my accommodation. London Bridge gym is only a 15-minute walk from my accommodation and Moonraker also has its own gym, which is available to students at heavily discounted prices.

The accommodation staff are amazing. They helped us during our quarantine period. We were provided with three meals and some snacks every day without fail. All our packages were delivered to our doorstep during this period. The reception is 24-hour available and the best part is that all our packages, small or big are received by them so there are no worries for anyone leaving your stuff outside the main gate.

Also, the amount mentioned on the King’s accommodation website is inclusive of all charges like internet, electricity, water. There are no hidden charges. Even though renting a studio is a bit heavy on the pocket, it has all possible amenities that you will ever require while living alone- a study desk with a chair, bed, bathroom and a kitchen and a breakfast table. All due fees gets updated on the internal portal of King’s so there is no worry of missing out on the accommodation or tuition fee. I have noticed that apart from an initial chunk of money spent on cookware, the only necessary expenses are the groceries. I would advise to keep aside £15-£20 for groceries each week apart from any other expenditure that you may have. It is essential to keep a record of where you are spending your money to always keep you mindful of your expenditure.