Being In Your Mate’s Corner – Momin’s Perspective

As we launch our ‘In Your Corner’ mental health awareness campaign, current KCLSU President Momin Saqib shares his perspective on mental health, how the people around him help him to safeguard his wellbeing and how we can be there to support a friend in difficulty. 

Mental health issues, a phrase that might sound scary to some, unknown to others and neglected by some, but is a topic that remains in the dark for the masses. In many societies, even till date, this topic is considered a “taboo” topic, very, unfortunately. The significance of mental health in one’s well-being is a topic which is yet to receive due importance in today’s day and age.

Being involved with the KCLSU over the past two years has given me insight into this particular topic and on a deeper level has stirred my interest in being further involved to share this knowledge and help my peers learn about mental health so that we can help each other and those around us in need.

MominBW-01 small

From my three years at university, as a student and as a student officer I have learnt that mental well-being is a pre-requisite for succeeding at university, however, success is subjective. But how can one excel in academics or extra-curricular or even their daily chores if one isn’t feeling “mentally well”. We all have remedies for physical ailments- fever? Sore throat? Let’s just pop in a paracetamol and there isn’t anything wrong in doing so. Medicines are after all a source of recovery. But what about our mental well-being? We all have days when we do not feel like getting out of bed, attending lectures, doing our daily chores, meeting people or even eating and that’s completely fine to “not feel up-to the mark” on some days, but when those some days start becoming most days, is when we seem to be developing a “problem”, which in most instances goes unrecognised by majority of students. It isn’t  a question of mood anymore, but it becomes a condition, which worsens each day if it goes untreated just like any other medical condition and this is a fact which is not known to many students, as a result of which they do not seek out for help, thinking it would get better eventually. Many students suffering from such conditions live in the fear that if they talk about their mental state they will be laughed upon or they would be burdening others with their problems. However, they are not completely wrong in their thinking, as there is lack of awareness about the importance of mental health in our society. However, we can work together to change this.

University is a period when one is finally independent, away from family, home and old friends. This can be a challenging period. Speaking from my personal experience so far, university has been good.  But, there is no denying that there have been days that I have questioned myself and my existence. In simple words, university can be a mind-wrecking puzzle. Getting through university itself is a great achievement and it may sound strange coming from the KCLSU president. Those who have known me, whether through my social media or in person, will perceive me as an overly-energetic, passionate, happy individual who is extremely content with life, but I am like any other individual who worries a little too much and gets anxious about exams. But having said this, I would also say that I have always been an expressive person and have spoken about my fears and worries with those I am close to. I have been lucky enough to have understanding people around me who have guided me and supported me and have been there for me in times of despair.

As a part of KCLSU and King’s, we strive to build a community where students can easily address their mental-health issues and communicate with those around them for help. All students at King’s should adopt a proactive approach to recognising such mental-health issues and support each other in seeking help for the same. King’s “In Your Corner” campaign is specifically designed for this purpose and is aimed at improving the health and well-being of all students at King’s.

As the president of the union, I would just like to let all students know that I will go out of my way to ensure that every student has the best university experience at King’s. KCLSU along with King’s has are committed to the mental health of the entire student community. They will be providing support services for all students. Students are always going to be encouraged to talk about their mental health, like all other problems

All students should know that they are not on this journey alone and we are all in this together

If you’re experiencing difficulties with your mental health, don’t feel you have to keep it to yourself. Reach out to a trusted friend, family member or the University for support.  The links below outline some of the different peer-led initiatives and professional support services:

If you would like to learn some basic skills in supporting a mate experiencing mental health difficulties, sign up to one of a Student Minds ‘Look After Your Mate’ workshops on campus here.