King’s Sustainability Internship
The Sustainability Team offers an annual internship for current or former King’s College London students.
Applications for 2017/18 are open now. Full details and information on how to apply can be found here.
The Sustainability Projects Assistant works closely with the Head of Sustainability and the Operations Sustainability Manager as a member of the Sustainability Team. The post holder will work closely with colleagues across Estates and Facilities as well as work with staff and students across the university in order to deliver the university’s sustainability objectives.
As part of the Sustainability Team the role holder shares responsibility for championing sustainability and supporting the university to embed sustainability across all its activities. In particular there will be a focus on staff and student engagement- supporting the team with the ongoing delivery and development of the 200 strong staff champions’ network and other staff and student engagement activities in order to achieve an increase in the pro-environmental awareness and behaviours within the university community.
This post requires a highly motivated and collaborative person who is passionate about making a difference to society and the environment.
This role would suit someone who would like to pursue a career within sustainability as a practitioner or consultant.
Key responsibilities and objectives of the job:
- Deliver the University’s staff sustainability champions programme (Green Impact) and ensure continued staff participation from across the university with support from the Head of Sustainability.
- Coordinate staff and student engagement activities and events such as Sustainability Week, the Sustainability Awards, cycling events, Sustainability forums, and contribute as part of the sustainability team to University wide events.
- Work closely with E&F communication team and act as the main contributor and coordinator of the sustainability communications by maintaining related internal and external communications (e.g. web pages, SharePoint, social media sites), responding to queries, writing reports and providing presentations for relevant groups etc.
- Assist with the implementation and operation of the University’s Sustainability Management System to ISO14001 standard. Support the management and maintenance of appropriate environmental monitoring systems, surveys and audit processes and their incorporation into existing systems and procedures and records.
- Recruit and manage student sustainability volunteers.
- Provide project support for other sustainability projects as agreed – examples include:
- Responsible procurement
- Sustainable food and Fairtrade
- Sustainability communications and engagement
- Education for sustainable development
- Sustainable labs
- Carbon reduction
- Waste management
- Water reduction
- Data management and analysis
- Sustainable construction and refurbishment
- Champion sustainability and support integration of sustainability into existing College policies, procedures and activities.
- Engage and liaise with staff, students and other sustainability and environmental related groups, to support the practical adoption and implementation of innovative ideas on campus.
- Support the collation of internal and external sustainability data submissions e.g. dashboard reporting, Estate Management Record and People and Planet Green League, annual environmental report.
- Support the engagement and liaison with teaching and research staff, student and other sustainability related groups and individuals in support of sustainability in the curriculum and research agenda.
- Assist in the development and delivery of sustainability training for staff and students, e.g. new staff inductions, staff sustainability champions, departmental training, student lectures and workshops.
- Represent the University externally at sustainability related and higher education networks e.g. London University Environmental Group.
Undertake other duties as may be required that are commensurate with the level of the post.
Over the next academic year we will be posting profiles of alumni of the Sustainability Internship. Previous graduates of the internship have all gone on to work on issues relating to sustainability in both the private and public sector.
Justin Fisher: Community Organiser and graduate of the Next Up programme.