Food Glorious Food (Part 1)

Bookmark and Share

Allow me to let you in on a little secret – I can’t cook to save my life. I’m not exaggerating when I say that whipping out a bowl of steamed rice last week was probably the peak of my culinary pursuits. Come to think of it, the recipe handbook that my mother lovingly crafted for me has regrettably not seen daylight since Fresher’s Week (sorry, mum). However, if you’re anything like me, fret not! London is probably the best city for eating out due to the myriad of eateries scattered throughout its busy streets. In these 2 blog posts, I’ll attempt to highlight some of my favourite food spots, as well as several nifty discounts that come with being a student (note that these may be subject to change in the future).

To kicks things off, I’ll start with the most accessible student option during lunchtime – King’s restaurants. Dining here will help you stay on your weekly budget, and you’ll be surprised by the assortment of options available on the ever-changing menu. Anyone who can’t live without their weekly fish and chips – yours truly included – will rejoice at their Friday special, which is usually battered haddock or cod served with chips and mushy peas.

King's Cafe in New Hunt's House, Guy's campus

King’s Cafe in New Hunt’s House, Guy’s campus

Furthermore, there are also on-site cafés for all the sleepy-heads who need a little extra help to stay awake between lectures. Get one of the colourful King’s mugs to save 10p on each purchase, and you’ll be doing both your wallet and the environment a huge favour in the long run! If you’re at Guy’s, you’re spoiled for more options as there’s a burger shack on the beach, a farmers’ market that’s held every Tuesday, and a vibrant student hub called “The Shed” which serves coffee at a very affordable price.

The Farmer's Market, Guy's Campus

The Farmer’s Market, Guy’s Campus

If you crave street food, you’ll be delighted to know that Borough Market is a mere stone’s throw away from Guys Campus. And if you like free things, you’ll most certainly appreciate the complementary samples that some of the stalls give out! My favourite stall there is Pieminister, which serves delectable pies that are the perfect panacea for a chilly London day.

Borough market

Borough market, near Guy’s Campus

Waterloo-based students shouldn’t feel left out either, as the Lower Marsh Market and Southbank Food Market are merely a swift stroll away from their campuses. These are open on weekdays and weekends respectively, so the former would be a feasible option for your weekday lunch. I personally recommend the pad Thai stalls in both markets, although that might just be due to me being a sucker for Thai cuisines!

Southbank Centre Food Market

Southbank Centre Food Market

Meal deals are a staple in most local supermarkets or food chains, and the one offered by Greggs is arguably the best option for students right now. With a mere brandish of your student ID, you’ll get a sausage roll or sweet completely free of charge with your sandwich deal. As if that weren’t enough, you can also collect stamps with your hot drinks which are already part of the deal anyway! You can find one of these branches adjacent to the Strand Campus and another in Lower Marsh. Go a step further by watching out for steeply discounted sandwiches near their expiry dates at your local Boots, Sainsbury’s or Tesco.

Before I divulge the rest of my eating-out habits (there are a lot of them in case you couldn’t tell), I think it’s apt for me to stop here for now. Go grab some snacks and maybe a cup of hot chocolate from our trusty King’s Café, and I’ll catch you in the next instalment of my gastronomic adventure!