Our Open Doors student ambassadors support our campaigns and work with students and societies to address race equality at King’s.  Find out a bit more about them.We know how challenging university life can be. You can chat to them if you need some support and encouragement along the way.

Naomi Mwakamowo

Naomi Mwakamowo

Email: naomi.mwakamowo@kcl.ac.uk

I am the Lead Student Ambassador and in my second year of the Extended Medical Degree Programme. Creating a safe and inclusive environment for everyone, regardless of who they are, is something I am very passionate about. I believe that diversity is crucial to our learning experience; there is a unique and irreplaceable wealth of knowledge which can only be acquired by interacting with people from different walks of life. However, the benefits associated with diversity can only be experienced if an inclusive culture is created and fostered. I am committed to ensuring Kings College London becomes a safe space where everyone feels safe and valued. During my first year I took up the opportunity to take part in the pilot Student Successes Mentoring scheme. I learnt so many invaluable lessons which I know will help me to excel in any environment; from university to my future career. It really helped to settle me into university life, I came out feeling like I knew the rules of the game, I knew what was expected of me and as a result I knew how to succeed. It was a great investment into my future, I found myself discussing topics and issues I never even knew affected me, but I was able to overcome these challenges together with my group and my mentor. I found it great to talk to someone who understood how I felt especially in the context of culture and success. I definitely believe it is something all students would benefit from. I urge you to apply!

Having just finished my first year; I have some advice for everyone coming to Kings College London.

1. Make sure you explore your interests join societies and make friends outside your course ( I know it’s scary but try to speak to as many people as you can ! they are all in the same boat as you and feeling just as nervous as you are )

2. Kings College London has a lot to offer however you have to look for it! So look for funding, travelling opportunities, job opportunities and so much more.

3. Speak to someone if you feel you need to, don’t be ashamed. I know talking to the health and wellbeing lead in my department saved me from a major break down (everyone cracks every once in a while )

4. Lastly feel free to contact me

Spencer Ejiro Duvwiama

Spencer Ejiro Duvwiama

Email: spencer.duvwiama@kcl.ac.uk

I am a student ambassador for the Open Doors project and also in my final year studying Biomedical Science.

Why diversity and inclusion matters to me: studying in London, a diverse city, many people can explain what diversity is. However, the understanding of inclusion is not as clear. I believe it is important for us students to take this opportunity and interact with the diverse range of people here at King's College London, as most of our views and opinions of the world tend to be shaped on our experiences at university. If we all had an outlook of the world based on the different perspectives of the diverse range of people we share it with, I believe we'd be more empathetic towards the struggles of many groups in society.

My Top Tips For Freshers

1. Managing money - Many new students are often anxious about the costs of living in London. My advice is to set yourself a weekly/monthly budget right from the start. Try not to be too ambitious, make sure it is achievable. In my first year I would keep my money in a savings bank account and set up a weekly payment into my main account so every week I was topped up with a little more money. I found it a lot easier to keep track of my spending and I would recommend this to all new students.

2. Transport - If you have a contactless card then you can pay for bus, train and the tube with it. Nevertheless, you should still get a student Oyster card, which is what most people use for transport in London. You'll get 30% off weekly and monthly travelcards with makes everything a lot cheaper. It can take up to 2 weeks to order the Oyster online so once you have confirmation that you are coming to King's, apply asap before you arrive. If you also have a 16-25 railcard, you can link your railcard to your oyster card at a tube station for further discounts. You would get a 34% discount for off-peak pay as you go fares - I've definitely enjoyed the hundreds of pounds my railcard has saved me!

3. Student bank accounts - it is essential that you get one! I joined Santander to get the 16-25 4 year railcard for free and it has saved me a lot of money. There are many other banks offering useful freebies or a sizeable overdraft, which can help if you go over budget. There are many websites that compare them all so you can pick the best. Make sure you pick the best for yourself and don't feel compelled to stick to with the same bank you had before university.

If you have any questions about university life in London feel free to approach me on campus or send me an email.

Oyinkansola Dada

Oyinkansola Dada

Email: oyinkansola.dada@kcl.ac.uk

I am a third year student currently studying International Politics here at King’s. Diversity and Inclusion is something I am very passionate about. I believe it is important for every institution to be able to create a safe and inclusive space for every student regardless of race, gender or sexuality. This is not only important for personal development but also for fostering an environment where every voice has a place and can be listened to. Without this, students can often feel isolated and this can show in their academic work or make their university experience a negative or largely uninspiring experience. The Open Doors Project aims to make sure this is not the case at King’s through its support for BME students. I am very excited to be a part of the team this year. Representation truly matters.

My top tips for university include:

1. Make yourself heard – I believe everyone should have a voice. If anything or anyone ever makes you feel a certain way don’t be afraid to speak up. This can be in regards to lectures, societies or even friendships. Don’t feel peer-pressured into doing things you don’t want to, if something doesn’t sit well with you make it known. If you don’t understand a lecture or feel like you are not getting enough out of your university experience don’t be afraid to make a complaint. That’s the only way change can happen, university goes by quick so make the most out of it.

2. Explore – London is your oyster. This is especially important if you are new to the city. Make sure you explore everything it has to offer and make sure to socialise along the way. Look up the societies at King’s and find one that suits you, this can make a huge difference to your overall experience.