An introduction to the new Health & Fitness offer at King’s College London…

Six weeks of term down and it’s very easy to tell that everyone is back in the full swing of things. Lectures resume, the summer blues begin to go away and the Waterloo gym becomes increasingly busier.

Having been in post and at King’s for going on 2 months now, I felt as though it would be the right time to firstly introduce myself and secondly to inform you of several exciting changes to our current product and programme in the new academic year. With the fresh management team of Freya and myself as well as Dave and Pete, as our newest fitness coaches working alongside Jen, Paul, Shaun and Aaron we are all very excited the future ventures within the department.

Firstly – myself. Having worked in the fitness industry for going on 8 years, I began my journey through fitness in local authority gyms before studying Sports & Exercise Sciences at Loughborough University. Here I was fortunate enough to play a big role in the running of my Halls of Residence where I then moved to the Students’ Union Executive as the VP: Finance & Commercial Services. From there, I moved to the University of Nottingham as the Assistant Health & Fitness Manager before moving to London last August. Having been in the city for just over a year, I have been fortunate enough to have spent the last year opening the first site of URBANFITNESS London. Moving back to the Higher Education sector was a very easy choice and I am extremely excited for the coming future at King’s College London.

Anyway, the boring stuff over I’m keen to ensure that you, members of King’s Sport Health & Fitness, are fully in the loop with our current projects and programmes across the division.

1. The Fitness Pathway- Some of you may have seen the new branding within the gym named the ‘Fitness Pathway’. Tailored specifically to you, the King’s Fitness Pathway can help you Pursue exercise, Progress your existing training, or help you Perform to reach your needs.  From inductions in the Cardiovascular, Resistance and Free weights equipment at the gym to a programme tailored to your goals as well as group training in Kettlebells, HIIT and Olympic Lifting to running a Tough Mudder as a group – we’re sure that you’ll find something that suits you along the pathway.
  1. Group Exercise – As a big Group Exercise advocate myself, I’m always looking at new trends and boutique studios across the city. Therefore, I’d love any feedback that you have currently whether it be good, bad or ugly!
  1. The Active Wellness Scheme– our new scheme designed to promote general wellness through exercise and physical activity. The scheme will see us work with members of the university with mental and/or physical health issues. For more information, please contact student services.
  1. Facilities - The summer has seen the inclusion of our new disabled access door and shower room where we aim to provide students, staff and external members with disabilities the opportunities to workout within the Waterloo gym.
  1. Halls Gyms – the summer has also seen us also launch two satellite gyms at both Great Dover Street Apartments and Champion Hill Residences – we’ve had a huge uptake in students using both sites which is great to see and we look forward to continually improving services at both locations.

So, to end… the Fitness Team are always on hand for any questions that you may have and if you’d like to book in for an induction or programme please speak to a member of the team. I’d also love it if you liked our Facebook page in order to stay up to date with the developments across the division.

https://www.facebook.com/Kings-Sport-Health-Fitness-569052616564461/?fref=ts

We’ll be sending out more updates and tips through our blog on Facebook so stay tuned for more to come.

Please pop your head into the office to say hello or alternatively grab me on the gym floor.

Yours in fitness,

Zak Evans
Health & Fitness Manager
King’s SportScreen Shot 2016-11-22 at 16.56.10

2 thoughts on “An introduction to the new Health & Fitness offer at King’s College London…

1. I needed to thank you for this excellent read!! I certainly loved every
    little bit of it. I have you book marked to check out
    new stuff you

Look at my web-site Jim