Lindsey storyboard

A Day in the Life of an Instructional Designer

Lindsey

Lindsey Fulker is an Instructional Designer in the Instructional Design & Development team. She has worked in distance and online learning for more than 10 years.

9.30am – I arrive at work, make myself a cup of tea and catch up on some emails

10.00am – I have a meeting scheduled with one of our academic colleagues from The Dickson Poon School of Law. We meet regularly to work on the content design for the module which he is leading on for the new online LLM programme in Corporate and Commercial Law, and this meeting is to look at a specific week of the module. Our aim is to make the student’s learning experience as engaging as possible, so during the meeting we discuss different activities including drag and drop interactions, discussion forums, infographics and scenarios. Part of the content lends itself to an activity based on an interesting case study, so we spend time deciding how best to use this in the design. During the meeting we use our whiteboard wall to scribble notes on.

Lindsey writing on whiteboard wall

12.00pm – I spend an hour writing up the outcome of the meeting while it’s still fresh in my mind. I summarise the decisions about different learning activities in what we call a learning pathway. A learning pathway is a high-level design document which outlines the type of learning activity we aim to use for each step of the learning for a particular week or topic of study. The learning pathway is then used by me and my academic colleague to clarify which content we already have and which content will need to be written by the lecturer.

1.00pm – Lunchtime! King’s Online is located in a great area, so I’m able to take a walk around Lincoln’s Inn Field and Covent Garden during my lunch break.

2.00pm – We have another module leader coming in later in the week to film some content for their module. We have a great studio in King’s Online, and a super cinematographer who is very good at looking after our presenters and making them feel at ease, so I know that I don’t need to worry about the filming itself too much. My job involves the scripts which we receive from lecturers well in advance to give us time to read through them carefully, to make sure they flow well, and to think about any other graphics which could be used during the film. Today, all that is left for me to do is to format the scripts for the autocue software and discuss with the cinematographer which studio set-up would work best so that he can get the background and lighting set up in good time.

2.30pm – There is an exciting new online programme which is in the pipeline, and there is a meeting between King’s Online and the owning Faculty. I’m attending with the Director of King’s Online, and one of our project managers. The meeting is for everyone to get a better understanding of the programme and the development process. I talk about our instructional design process, and tell the Faculty members about the sorts of content which will need to be provided, and about our learning pathway documents and storyboards. Our project manager explains the timeline of programme development, and gives the faculty members a tour of the studio. The meeting goes well, and both us and the faculty are very excited about putting another new programme online.

4.00pm – I have the rest of the day to get on with some storyboarding. This is the last part of the design process for me as an Instructional Designer: once all the content has been gathered, and learning activities have been agreed, the storyboard can be written. A storyboard is a document which details each screen of the content and is like a set of instructions for the learning technologists to use when they build the content. I like to make my storyboards as visual as I can to make it clear what each screen looks like and what the purpose is. Once I’ve finished a storyboard, the development work can begin, and we can really see the module taking shape.

5.30pm – That’s me done for another day! I tidy my desk and close the computer down before heading to the station for my journey home.