Ready. Set. Spring.

I still have not been able to wrap my head around the fact that I only have 3 more weeks of lectures and 1 more week of tutorial to go before I pretty much finish the materials for Frist Year students at King’s. What follows is one month of anxiety, stress, and intensive revision for exams in May. Although almost 6 months have passed, I still remember how my mother told me uni would be ‘incredibly hard because you have to read a whole lot’. I thought she exaggerated it (after all, I took a total of 10 Advanced Placement subjects in 2 years. These classes were uni-level). What I did not think of, however, was how different and interesting life of a student would be. To illustrate my point, let me walk you through what a typical day for me is like.

1. Wake me up (when the garbage truck comes under my window):

Either that or the sound of my neighbors’ kids running to school is my alarm clock. My morning often starts with a warm cup of PG tea with lots of milk and sugar. It is certainly not the famous English tea, but close enough for my taste. I then check my King’s email (my professors managed to drill into my head the importance of checking that account everyday during the first few weeks of university. I actually now use it to write and receive most of my emails). Browsing Facebook, reading newspaper, and briefly talking to my parents complete my early morning. Interestingly, when I no longer live at home, my parents become increasingly interested in details of my life, such as what food I have for dinner or what my plan for the day is.

Packing my own lunch and having a huge bottle of water are very beneficial. I save a lot of money. A meal which includes vegetables, carbohydrate-based food and meat at King’s cafeteria typically costs around 4 pounds. Even when you choose to walk all the way to Sainsbury’s to purchase a three-pound-meal deal (a sandwich + a drink + a snack), that is still more expensive than bringing your own leftover spaghetti from dinner. When you have a long day like I often do, a proper lunch is a must if you do not want to pass out in public.

2. Uni, uni, uni

Because I live relatively close to King’s Waterloo Campus, I always walk. It is amazing what one can experience just by walking. For example, I noticed how jonquil flowers appeared last week and trees started to blossom (or there was a black cat near my flat that stared at me every time I walked past him). Not to mention walking is another way to cut cost. Public transportation in London is relatively reliable unless the workers decide to go on strike like they did a few weeks ago which threw London into chaos.

Anyways, back to the topic of uni. I have lectures 4 days a week in the same auditorium with, luckily, different professors. I prefer paper and pen when taking notes, but others use computers. Not all lecturers allow electronic devices in their session, however. Side notes: notes are often posted on KEATS (King’s online platform) a few days before the actual lecture for students to print out. Because printing is expensive and I do not learn from printed paper, I choose to copy the slides down the way I want them to be. Some say it is a waste of time, but that is the way I learn.

3. E.A.T. (Eat, Appreciate, Talk)

Yes! After 2 hours of lecture (which are actually very short but cover a lot of materials), I always have lunch with my group of friends. Like I wrote earlier, a good lunch is a must and a good conversation is compulsory. If you have not been able to tell, I am a people person (i.e. I talk a lot and I enjoy having others talking to me). My friends and I talk about really random things. The Oscars. The Ukraine. My friend’s pets. Dead rats. Vietnam War. Food in the cafeteria. The tube. Backpacking in Europe. Whatever comes to our mind could be a starting point.

4. Procrastination: the art of keeping up with yesterday.

My afternoon is usually one of the following: 1. attend tutorial; 2. do tutorial work; 3. work; 4. do something that is not uni-related. I wish I could tell you that I was one hard working person and never let my yesterday’s plan interfered with today’s. But of course, I could not. Truth to be told, I am not bad with keeping up with assignments but terrible with reading books (every lecture requires certain chapters to be read). Why? I have no excuse. So yes, if you are going to uni this fall, remember to include in your bucket list ‘read all chapters required right after lecture’ and stick to it. Otherwise you will someday wind up working in the library till 11 PM to prep for a mid-term test.

5. Dinner ready to be served!

I do not eat out all that often to control my budget. I cook 2-3 times a week max  (admittedly, I am not the best cook out there). You might not think food costs that much, but if you eat out every evening, they will eventually add up. Besides, you can choose what you put in your food and how you cook it. Cooking also provides a good break from your table. Struggle to get to know your flatmates? Cook together!

So yes, that is basically how my days run. I will not bore you with more details about my life. But my point is this: studying abroad is not simply about going to an uni to study. It is about adjusting yourself to a new life in which you are completely in charge and your parents are now your safety net and advisors. In addition to studying, you have to control your budget, cook your food, do your laundry, clean your room, and most importantly, balance your time. But do not worry about them now because you have plenty of chance to freak out, make mistakes and learn from them later.

Cheers.

P.S.: On a totally unrelated note, I have been taking a lot of pictures of London lately and really want to share a few of them with you. Please excuse the quality of the pictures!

Embankment at night

Embankment at night

Canary Wharf, view from Waterloo Bridge

Canary Wharf, view from Waterloo Bridge

Canary Wharf during the day

Canary Wharf during the day

9 thoughts on “Ready. Set. Spring.

1. I just want to mention I am beginner to blogs and seriously liked you’re web blog. Probably I’m going to bookmark your blog post . You amazingly have impressive articles. Thanks a lot for revealing your web-site.

2. Woah! I’m really loving the template/theme of this site. It’s simple, yet effective. A lot of times it’s challenging to get that “perfect balance” between usability and appearance. I must say you have done a great job with this. Additionally, the blog loads extremely fast for me on Internet explorer. Exceptional Blog!

3. Hi there, You have done a fantastic job. I’ll definitely digg it and personally recommend to my friends. I’m sure they’ll be benefited from this site.

4. I was suggested this blog by my cousin. I am not sure whether this post is written by him as no one else know such detailed about my difficulty. You’re incredible! Thanks!

5. Apple now has Rhapsody as an app, which is a great start, but it is currently hampered by the inability to store locally on your iPod, and has a dismal 64kbps bit rate. If this changes, then it will somewhat negate this advantage for the Zune, but the 10 songs per month will still be a big plus in Zune Pass’ favor.

6. Hey I know this is off topic but I was wondering if you knew of any widgets I could add to my blog that automatically tweet my newest twitter updates. I’ve been looking for a plug-in like this for quite some time and was hoping maybe you would have some experience with something like this. Please let me know if you run into anything. I truly enjoy reading your blog and I look forward to your new updates.

7. Oh my goodness! Amazing article dude! Thanks, However I am encountering difficulties with your RSS. I don’t understand why I cannot subscribe to it. Is there anyone else having similar RSS issues? Anyone that knows the solution will you kindly respond? Thanks!!