Student Profile: Muhammad Babar – BSC 1st Year Student Rep

I chose geography because I love the concept of helping people. Geography is all about making a change, whether this be on a local, regional or global scale. What makes us happy are the things that we do for others, and with geography we can make a real positive impact in the short time that we have on this earth.

My most impressive achievement is being heavily involved in a campaign which won a case at the Supreme Court. This led us to making a change in the policies regarding student loans for long term migrants living in the UK. I guess we can make a change regardless of what stage of life we are at, we just have to believe and never give up.

At the moment I’m inspired by my parents, who I believe are true super humans! They have helped me see things which I didn’t think existed. They make me believe in myself. So I am inspired by my parents, and as long as I have them on my side, I believe I can do anything.

Muhammad

Others say I am a very old-fashioned person – I hope that’s a good thing.

You might be surprised to know that if I was born one day later my birthday would come after every four years. I would have been very young mathematically.

My greatest goal that I’m yet to achieve is to graduate with a first class honours in my education. I also want to make a positive change in the world where people are not looked at differently because of the colour of their passport, and people are given the basic medication/food/shelter regardless of which country they are from. (There are people with no food whereas our supermarket shelves are overflowing, how is this possibly fair?)

In the short term I really want to get across the views of EVERYONE in my year. I really want this year along with the next two years to be the best of our lives. So if you have any ideas/concerns/feedback please get in touch, and together we can make a change.