@thaliaeley

@thaliaeley

Professor of Developmental Behavioural Genetics

My work focuses on exploring interplay between genes and the environment with respect to the development and treatment of anxiety and depression, particularly in young people. I have always been fascinated by the fact that different people react so differently from one another when under stress. In my research I use both twin studies, in order to estimate the relative contribution of genes and the environment, and also molecular genetic approaches, which can identify links between specific genes and outcomes of interest. I also draw on methods used in experimental psychology to explore aspects of information processing that may be relevant mechanisms when trying to understand the role of genes and the environment on the development and treatment of anxiety and depression.

@Tom_A_McAdams

@Tom_A_McAdams

Research Fellow

Broadly, my work focuses on the role of the social environment in the development of common emotional and behavioural disorders. I have a particular interest in the use of genetically informative methodologies that allow for the distinction between potential 'real' environmental effects and the confounding effects of gene-environment correlation. For example, I work on international project in which we use children-of-twins data to study the effects of parental behaviours on offspring. The use of such data allows us to distinguish between environmental effects and passive and evocative gene-environment correlation.

@kathryn_lester1

@kathryn_lester1

Lecturer

My research uses a range of cognitive, behavioural and genetic methods to understand the risk and protective mechanisms involved in the onset and maintenance of emotional difficulties. I am particularly interested in how individual differences in how people attend to, interpret and learn about positive and negative stimuli in their environment contribute to the development and treatment of emotional problems, especially childhood anxiety. Current projects are exploring bias modification techniques as a means of altering biases in information processing and potentially reducing risk for anxiety in childhood. I am also studying whether individual differences in the malleability of information processing biases predicts emotional response to a range of environmental influences. My current research also explores the interplay between genes and environment in determining response to psychological therapy, a field we named therapygenetics. Finally, I have an interest in the role of parenting, parenting beliefs and cognitions and the transmission of anxiety and anxiety-linked cognitive biases from parent to child.

@Joni_Coleman

@Joni_Coleman

Post-doctoral researcher

My research is broadly concerned with understanding the interactions between genetic variation and environmental influences, using genome-wide methods. A major focus of this has been identifying genetic factors affecting response to psychological therapies for anxiety disorders. I have performed a genome-wide association study on the child cohort from the GxT project, and integrated genetic variation with gene-expression measures in the adult cohort. I am currently exploring polygenic approaches to dissecting environmental and genetic components of variance in larger cohorts, including the Twins Early Development Study, the Avon Longitudinal Study of Parents and Children, and the UK Biobank.

@laurie_jh

@laurie_jh

PhD student

I am interested in investigating the cognitive underpinnings of mental illness from a developmental perspective. By looking at the changing role of cognitive biases and patterns of thinking in anxiety, depression and other disorders over the course of childhood and adolescence, it is possible to learn more about their aetiologies, the specific ways in which they impair an individual’s functioning and the optimal time periods for intervention and treatment.

I am also keen to explore the changes in environments people experience across their life course; both in terms of their impact on mental health and the extent to which they are related to, or independent of, an individual’s inherited genome.

Georgina

Georgina

PhD student

My research interests include understanding genetic and environmental factors influencing the development and persistence of obsessive-compulsive disorder in young people. I am particularly interested in identifying predictors of response to cognitive behaviour therapy in this population, including genetic markers.

@kl_purves

@kl_purves

PhD student

I am interested in understanding genetic and environmental influences on the aetiology of, and treatment responses in anxiety and depression. I have a particular interest in using approaches that help to bridge environmental, quantitative and molecular-genetically sensitive designs.

Yasmin

Yasmin

PhD student

I am working on the Children of TEDS (CoTEDS) project. My research aims to understand the mechanisms underlying the intergenerational transmission of mental illness within families.

Rosa

Rosa

PhD student

I am interested in genotype-environment correlation and interaction, and want to uncover why some environments are associated with traits relevant to developmental psychology, and why people differ in their responses to environments. I am particularly keen to use the Children of Twins design to distinguish between environmental effects and genotype-environment correlation in the transmission of traits within families. In addition, I will employ statistical genetic methodologies that take advantage of genotype data, such as genome wide polygenic scores to model individual level genetic influences on traits across development.

Sarah

Sarah

Research placement student

I am an honorary research assistant, working in the EDIT lab, and also the MRC SGDP Summer School coordinator for the year 2017. One of the main projects in which I am involved is investigating the use of an online CBT programme to improve sleep problems in an unselected sample of undergraduate students.

Ellie

Ellie

Research placement student

I am an honorary research assistant, working in the EDIT lab in collaboration with the Biomedical Research Centre BioResource. Specifically, I am working on the Charlotte’s Helix project, an arm of the AN25K initiative. This aims to collect genetic samples from at least a thousand anorexia nervosa sufferers in the U.K., which will be added to a collection of 25 thousand samples worldwide.

aliciapeel

aliciapeel

Research placement student

I am an honorary research assistant working in the EDITlab, in collaboration with the Biomedical Research Centre (BRC) BioResource. My main focus is in the field of therapygenetics. I am currently working on the BioPoRT study, investigating the role on biomarkers, as well as clinical and demographic factors, in predicting response to psychological therapy for anxiety and depression.